Monday, December 6, 2010

Of course, on the last day of classes, University students decide today is a good day to show up, to hand in final assignments, to recieve a glimmer of what may be on the final exam. To take up every parking stall available. I was five minutes late for my morning class. Though I possess a shiny red park-pass that hangs on my rear-view mirror, I parked illigally, in the 'Z' section instead of the 'M' (how do you even get a pass for that section?). Luckily, I didn't get a ticket. I handed in my major paper, listened to my prof sing a few songs (a few inappropriate) about utopia, which did, and didn't have anything to do with the entire semster.

I finished it last night, my paper, printed it off on the whitest paper you can imagine, with the blackest ink, in the proper formatting, looking as concise and organized as a bank. The only informal thing about it was the staple, which, when viewed at a certain angle, reveals its evergreen tones. Compliments of a little plastic box I purchased at Staples, housing colours such as red, green, and purple. It's the one way I can revolt -- since I bought a park-pass, completely comforming to the legalizations of University.

"You don't look like a University student at the end of the semester," Daniel told me. We watched a bunch of episodes of Lost, from Season 6, last night. Sometimes I wonder what these people around me are thinking (anything?) and wonder how slow they work (especially when chopping keys on a keyboard at three in the morning) and curse their attendance since they come only when it really matters. People walk out of here with degrees, having learned no more than when it's adequate to show up, when skimming a reading matters, and the format of MLA.

Regergitate this information and forget it next semester, you'll be fine.

I may not have a life, or many friends, outside of my books and my husband and episodes of Lost, but at least I recognize (I think) what learning is really about (no, not comformity) and how to achieve it without becoming a complete idiot in the last three weeks of the semester.

3 comments:

  1. what does a university student should look like at the end of semester?

    ReplyDelete
  2. not as good as when she went in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha. Dan and I were just making fun of University students just before you wrote this. We're just jealous. Or something.

    ReplyDelete