Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Education Isn't Heavy to Carry

I just got back from a two hour breakfast meeting with my Grandparents, on my Dad's side. As they are passing through Regina they gave me a call, so we met up. We talked about so many things: Aboriginal issues, and the wrong ways the government is trying to put band-aids on situations; poverty, and the way that countries like Chile have solved those problems -- and yet greed gets in the way (although everyone is provided for, nobody can really reach the top like we can here, so some want to move to America where they can climb that latter -- or fall on their face to live in the streets); the impact religion and white privilege has had on cultures all around the world; the wars in Afghanistan, and how America had rivalries with Russia, and so, to prevent their exploiting the oil they formed the Taliban, and now they're fighting against the very force they created; and about environmental issues, and how we could stop using oil if we put these other technologies in place (wind turbines, etc) but then people wouldn't make enough money.

It's so refreshing to dismantle the very topics that reside in and around my brain. Talking about it lightens the load.

"Education isn't heavy to carry," my Grandma told me. My Great-Grandma used to tell her that.

It does feel a bit weighted, some days, but she's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment